Human Hepatitis C Virus

Human Hepatitis C Virus

Friday, March 9, 2012

Let's discuss this silent epidemic today

March 9, 2012

Welcome to my world,

In 2008 I was matter-of-factly informed that I had Hepatitis C, often referred to as HCV as I've come to learn.  A routine blood test discovered this life-changing event.  I had no idea that I was sick - in fact other than drinking too much wine I had always considered myself much more healthy than average.  What a shock - I was so disbelieving that I asked my doctor to repeat the test.  I had no symptoms other than - looking back - I sometimes felt the need to nap at lunch.  Who doesn't?

I now consider myself even more healthy - physically fit and an organic whole food-only eater.  I am in better shape now than I was five years ago.  I know more now.  It's actually a good time to own a body, even one with HCV.  I don't think of myself as sick, but I know the demon lurking can easily kill me, maybe not now but certainly eventually.

Not long ago the Wall Street Journal headline read:  Hepatitis C deaths up, baby boomers most at risk.  No kidding! 

 http://online.wsj.com/article/APda9a25f261e14a2f8db1cb7792c220e7.html

"One of every 33 baby boomers are living with hepatitis C infection," says Dr. John Ward, hepatitis chief at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Most people will be surprised, because it's a silent epidemic."

A silent epidemic - and silent in many ways.  Doctors do not routinely test for the disease, those who have HCV do not want to speak about it openly for fear of judgement (how did you get it? maybe you deserve it for being so foolish!  can I catch it from you?), and those who have gone through treatment, even repeatedly as I have, are quiet about it because of the pain and suffering the treatment forces us to endure.  I certainly don't want to appear ill or even weak.  And there are no walks or races or silent auctions in support of the research to find a cure... no Susan G. Komen Foundation Race For The Cure, no gala fundraisers.  HCV is silent on so many fronts.

I am going to blog about this disease and my dance with it.  I truly believe that this will be my year - in 2012 I will finally (after trying yearly for the past four years) beat the virus that changed my life.  In future posts I will discuss the treatments for HCV - the ones I have tried and the emerging drugs, and try to explain and enlighten.  I will provide links to credible resources for anyone effected by HCV.  I hope you'll email me if you need any support.  Let me know what you might  want to see - your feedback is welcome.  Let's discuss this silent epidemic together.  Be well.

All the best,
Always - Hep C Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment